Sunday, January 8, 2017

Setup Blocked By Group Policy

I was trying to setup my printer, cannon MG3650 on my computer, everything was going well, setup has finished, but i wasn't able to print.
I opened printers, to find the status of the printer as following "Setup Blocked By Group Policy"
Searching online i found couple of posts to change the group policy and how to check the resultant policy.
I checked the group policy setting by doing the below
Start > Run, type in gpedit.msc and press OK. Go to Computer Configuration > Administrative templates > System > Device Installation > Device Installation Restrictions
Made sure that all was not configured.
I then checked the resultant policy
Start > Run, type in rsop.msc and there the device restriction was set as enabled.
I searched on how to change this policy, couldn't find a place to change it.

Then i looked into the registry. by doing Start > Run, type in regedit and press Ok. I found the below key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DeviceInstall\Restrictions

And i found a key inside called DenyUnspecified

I removed this key, then checked the resultant policy, the restriction wasn't enabled. Repeated the printer setup again, and this time it finished successfully and it worked fine after. 

No comments:

Post a Comment